Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday -- January 31, 2012

The end of January has snuck up on me! It feels like we just rang in the new year. Today in Colorado, it is 65 degrees and feels like a Rocky Mountain spring day. But we need more winter weather and the trees and animals need to keep doing their quiet renewal work. I had a lot of fun keeping track of my top ten projects, artists, and ideas for this week. And of course, I always enjoy the favorite animal of the week. I hope you enjoy it too. Feel free to click-through to the fine folks I've listed here. I'm happy to hear if something you make or know about should be included in a future top ten list!

#1 Coffee for the Birds

 This adorable bird house and feeding station was created by Weavers Custom Corner on Etsy. If you are particularly fond of coffee, or of birds, this sculputral art may be just the thing for a special corner of your yard.

#2 Homemade Puzzles for Kids of all Ages

This easy-to-follow craft tutorial by Play Create Explore includes numerous ideas about how you can use craft sticks and Modge Podge (don't you just love Modge Podge!) to create simple puzzles that will become a favorite.

#3 Wool Felt Mat or Rug


I first fell for this felt rug project by The Crafts Department on Martha Stewart.com because I love the color selections that were made. Then, when I realized how they so easily made this rug, I loved it even more! I have a lot of leftover felt, as perhaps you might imagine, so this project has been added to my short list of things I'd like to try.

#4 Craft Room Chair ReDo
I am a big supporter of creating for yourself a fabulous creative space! This belief is shared by Mandy at Sugar Bee Crafts. Her chair upgrade project is getting me to thinking about some of my battered studio chairs...I also think it is wonderful when people start taking items apart to improve them before putting them back together! I say, Take out the Power Tools! Make a Mess!

#5 Felt Bird Brooch

I think it is easy to see why I would include this sweet Chaffinch by Lupin on Etsy in a top ten list...it is just darn cute. And, it is made of felt, which I am partial to. I like the color detail that Lupin included as well as her small, uniform hand stitching. This brooch would be lovely on my nubby black and grey winter coat!

#6 Bird Watercolor

This original watercolor is made by Imogen's Attic in Scotland. She tells of finding a whole flock of these sweet birds at the tearoom where she lives. Can't you just see the little bird looking up and asking for another little bite of tea cake? This lovely original work by Imogen, along with other gorgeous art, it available here.

#7 Button Earrings

I think this project is darn clever! You take two mismatched earrings you don't care about any more, and with the easy-to-follow tutorial on Ruffles & Stuff, you create a smashing new pair using an inexpensive card of buttons. Now I know that I have a lot of buttons in my studio...I think I will go see which pair of buttons I will use first to add to my wardrobe!

#8 Bird Pin Cushions

These sweet pin cushions by Felt Mates on Etsy caught my eye on Pinterest. I love her bright colors and the child-like coziness of her designs. It looks like she uses simple porcelain custard cups for her pin cushion bases, which is clever, as it will give the whole thing stability. Well done!

#9 Cell Phone Charger

Can you tell what this phone charger is made out of? I love the design as it keeps the phone up off of the counter, one of my pet peeves. It is eco-friendly. Need another hint? The smell of this thing that turns into a phone charger will make you think of kissing a baby's head....or at least, that's what it makes me think of! The inventive gal behind Make It - Love It turned a Johnson's Baby Lotion bottle into this great new gadget. You can follow her tutorial and make one of your own!

#10 Great Animal Picture of the week...enjoy!


Thanks for stopping by, Georgianne

2 comments:

Imogen Greene said...

Thank you so much for picking out my chaffinch painting, Georgianna, I've just posted a link to you on my blog-http://imogensattic.blogspot.com/2012/02/etsy-conversations.html
Imogen

Mandy Beyeler said...

Thanks for the shout-out!!